A major American brewing company was in need of a solution for its production facilities that could network multiple production processes together and be able to withstand temperatures in excess of 140°F without failing. Multiple controllers and production machines needed to be seamlessly connected, and it had to work flawlessly. After extensive research and testing, the company chose to deploy Comtrol’s DeviceMaster® UP.
Loaded with Modbus/TCP firmware, the DeviceMaster UP provides the brewery a flexible, easy-to-use and highly robust solution. Controllers include SCADA systems communicating over Modbus/TCP and PLCs communicating via Modbus/TCP, serial Modbus/RTU or serial Modbus/ACSII. The production machines communicate via ASCII data, Modbus/RTU or Modbus/ASCII. Further complicating the situation, the ASCII data machines need to communicate to each controller independently.
The DeviceMaster UP seamlessly networks the controllers to the production machines. The automatic Modbus protocol conversion functionality enables multiple Modbus controllers to communicate to the serial Modbus machines. The industry’s first command/response mode enables multiple controllers to independently communicate to the ASCII production machines.
During the production process, every bottle, can, and keg is filled to the exact specifications, marked and coded with a serial number and date of manufacture, and is packaged at the palletizing and shrink-wrapping machine. Each production machine’s communication statistics and diagnostics are monitored through embedded web pages provided by the DeviceMaster UP, ensuring reliable factory uptime and efficiency. Comtrol’s DeviceMaster UP was able to provide superior interface, flexibility, and functionality for the brewery’s production plant.
Why did the brewery choose the DeviceMaster UP?
- The DeviceMaster UP withstands operational temperatures in excess of 140°F without failure
- The DeviceMaster UP provides connectivity between a wide variety of Modbus controllers and devices
- The DeviceMaster UP provides the ability to network up to four production machines with one IP address
- Comtrol provides unparalleled technical expertise and engineering support for its products
- Comtrol’s DeviceMaster® UP provides a superior cost/benefit ratio when compared to competitive products